Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a current nmh user

2014-11-11 06:14:03
Hi Lyndon,

Or perhaps the time has come to switch stores to one with a similar
structure to upasfs's?

Upas' "store" is a single flat mbox file.  The magic is that upasfs is
a file server that interprets the contents of the mbox file on the fly
and presents the file's contents in an alternative form.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

You could never store messages in the format upasfs exports.

You state impossibility.  Could you explain why it's impossible?  We may
not want all of the redundancy upasfs provides, but a new message store
that duplicates some of the information, e.g. providing raw as-received
email and separate decoded, one-per-line, headers file, seems possible.

That said, I have modified upasfs to use an MH-style back-end message
store with an accompanying per-folder meta-data cache.  This work was
done to solve upasfs' scaling problems (it stores everything in
memory), and to speed up meta-data operations when the host running
upasfs imports /mail from a far-away file server.

Having upasfs itself, or something like it, would require a dependency
on 9P though?  Is that now standard on nmh's platforms?

Cheers, Ralph.