[Nmh-workers] repl -convertargs support committed on branch

2014-12-14 22:20:22
I just committed support for repl -convertargs on a new
branch, convertargs.  It works pretty much as planned:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2014-11/msg00076.html

except that it's not enabled by default.  Maybe someday that could
be done by having repl insert Nmh-mhbuild-text/html: and
Nmh-mhbuild-text/plain: pseudoheaders in every draft.

This support doesn't introduce any backward incompatibility.

Per later discussion, if there's a Content-Type + blank line header
at the beginning of the converted output, that will be used.  And I
use sed to insert the leading "> " in replied-to text.  That's in
mhn.defaults, so users can override it with anything they want in
their profile.

The easiest way to use repl -convertargs is to source
docs/contrib/replaliases, see it for details.

I noticed one very minor annoyance while integrating this.  Maybe
it'll help if I retrace my steps.  First, this is how to reply to a
text/html message:

    $ repl -filter mhl.replywithoutbody -convertargs text/html ''

That results in an unhelpful draft with no body.  The user could run
mime at the What now? prompt, but that's an extra step.  So I added
this to that command line:

    -editor mhbuild

and this to my profile:

    mhbuild-next: $EDITOR

That works.  I wanted to add that mhbuild-next line to mhn.defaults
so that users wouldn't have to (and mhbuild shouldn't normally be
run twice).  But that doesn't work because whatnow(1) doesn't read
mhn.defaults.  Maybe we could change that if there's interest,
though I haven't thought through for any possible side effects.  So
the user is left with these choices:
    1) run mime at the What now? prompt
    2) add mhbuild-next: $EDITOR or equivalent to profile and
       add -edit mhbuild to command line
    3) add -edit mhbuild to command line and run "-e[dit] $EDITOR"
       or equivalent at the What now? prompt

This commit does not support iCalendar attachments.  That's on its
way.

David