Re: [Nmh-workers] Multi-homed postproc, v2

2015-03-10 16:04:51
On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 10:25:30 -0400 Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> sez:

I never even knew this was a possibility.  I've always put the
filename last.  I'm definitely in favor of limiting it this way.
Hopefully nobody has created a script that depends on this level
of flexibility.  B-)  (It's highly likely that anyone using a
custom postproc wrote it.  Is there some way to warn such users
and prevent post(8) from completing, so that they can update
their postproc without losing their draft or the draft being
incorrectly post(8)-ed?)

Considering that it has been that way for several decades, and
literally every caller of post(8) would do that (depending on
arguments) up to a few days ago ... I do not think that would
be wise.  I think the best we can do change all of the callers
to put the filename last and live with that.

As for the man page ... sigh.  I understand your point, but
like I told Ralph almost every nmh man page is like that, and
has been like that forever.

Okay, so ixnay on the warning part.

As for the man pages, true it would be a lot of busywork, but why
not push new users toward specifying the arguments the preferred
way, with a warning at the bottom that the old way is still
supported but that support will disappear in the future?  You've
made major changes before, and recently -- e.g. MIME support.
The man pages this decade, and then the actual code next.  B-)

                                Bob