perl-unicode

Re: What to do with non-assigned points?

2002-03-18 05:07:52
On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 08:01:55PM +0900, Dan Kogai wrote:

   That reminds me of this this question.  What is a (de jure|de facto)
standard for fallback character?  Is it up to each module?
   FYI  My humble Jcode uses "blank square" (aka Tofu) and MacOS X uses
single '?'.

links uses '*', which I find easier to read than '?'

(for all those *****y MSHTML pages that allege ISO-8859-1 and then use
MS sexed '', where the server should be reporting the page as Windows charset)

I believe that the fallback should be configurable on a per-something
basis (per charset?) which then leaves us debating what the default should
be.

Nicholas Clark