perl-unicode

Recognise canonical names even if they are given in the wrong case? koi8-r vs KOI8-R

2002-03-23 20:32:23
Hello, Dan!

Please kindly excuse me for asking me naive questions - I'm
a freshman here :-)

The documentation says that only aliases are case insensitive,
while the canonical names are not.

Maybe it would be a good idea to capitalize/lowercase the
name of encoding somewhere internally to make all the
operations on encodings case-insensitive, regardless of the
name being canonical or an alias?

For example 'koi8-r' works fine, while 'KOI8-R' does not.
(I prefer the later form because it is the preferred MIME name
and I got used to writing it the way it comes in the
IANA registry)

One of the reasons I'm asking is - yes I have been deeply moved
by seeing my name included in the .pod - thank you, Dan! :-)) -
I really did hope to get mentioned some day, but not so soon ;-) -
but it also puts me responsible for that little section
in the pod. So I would like to put there both the most standard
aliases to the encodings, but also working aliases :)

My best regards, Anton