perl-unicode

Re: iso-2022-jp problem

2002-04-16 00:39:52
Dan Kogai <dankogai(_at_)dan(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp> writes:
On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 01:06 , Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
So we need some way of telling from an encoding object (e.g.
an attribute or a method call) that it needs line buffering
so that :encoding layer can take the appropriate steps.

Okay, which way do you like, attribute or method ?

Let us make it a method - then most encodings can inherit as default.

I think method is
more elegant but attribute seems easier to fetch.  Since this is more
for PerlIO than Encode itself, I would appreciate if you gave me the API
(just name would be enough)

But hard to think of - don't blame you for asking.

and I will add them to ISO-2022 stuff (not
just JP but KR has one, too).

Add

sub line_aware { '' }    # false

to Encode::Encoding

and

sub line_aware { "\n" }  # true, hint at chars that will do

To those that need it

Exact meaning of value of string (other than as truth value) to be
thrashed out later. May either be $/ like, or perhaps a "set" or ...

Dan
--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/