perl-unicode

Re: Encode-2.07 vs. PerlIO::encoding

2004-10-24 12:30:09
Rafael Garcia-Suarez <rgarciasuarez(_at_)mandrakesoft(_dot_)com> writes:
Dan Kogai wrote:
This makes perl-5.8.6 happy but the problem is that I have made
Encode::utf8 so that it accepts fallback values like Encode::XS (upon
the request by Bjoern Hoehrmann via RT).  Encode::utf8 used to return
immediately at partial character but now Encode:RETURN_ON_ERR is
required, meaning those who installed Encode-2.07 on older perl are in
trouble w/ PerlIO.  So I am looking for a solution which does that
without tweaking PerlIO::encoding.

Welcome to backward compatibility hell :)

I just want Encode::utf8->decode() to make sure Encode:RETURN_ON_ERR is
on when the callar is PerlIO::encoding...

Or, one could backport PerlIO::encoding (with your patch) to CPAN and
require this latest version for Encode 2.08.

You could. But I designed the two together and partial characters
were not errors but distingushed in a way which is part of Encode::XS
behaviour.