unknown mailer error 137

1996-08-01 16:00:17
I'm suffering a problem that has most of us baffled here.  I wonder if
anyone can help?

I'm trying to run my procmail from my .forward file, and I've tried
various of the following lines (and similar variations) in .forward:

==================
"|/dvl/tools/bin/procmail"
"|/dvl/tools/bin/procmail #james"
"|IFS=' ' && exec /dvl/tools/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #james"
==================

and always had the same effect - a bounced mail:

==================
From Mailer-Daemon(_at_)isysg(_dot_)com Thu Aug  1 11:34 PDT 1996
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:34:04 -0700
From: Mailer-Daemon(_at_)isysg(_dot_)com (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 137
To: <james(_at_)isysg(_dot_)com>

Killed
554 "|/dvl/tools/bin/procmail"... unknown mailer error 137

   ----- Unsent message follows -----

...etc. etc.

Every machine can see the procmail and associated executables.
Nothing appears in a log file even when I set VERBOSE=on.
I can run procmail successfully by piping a copy of the mail through it
from the command line.
I use /bin/csh, but using /bin/sh user account it does the same thing

Can anyone either suggest a possible problem or good ways of diagnosing
it?

Thanks in advance,

James Ferguson <james(_at_)isysg(_dot_)com>