Re: Email, pages and faxes...oh my!

1996-08-07 09:37:11

On August 7, 1996, "Wm. L. Bates, II" <bbates(_at_)mint(_dot_)net> said:
I work for an ISP and would like to extend a few more services to the
customers.  I am researching the possiblities of using procmail for
sending email thru the fax, and small messages thru the alpha numeric
pager.  If anyone has experience with doing this, please let me know
how well it has worked.

Don't know anything about the fax system, but here all the
sysadmins have pager email addresses so you can send email to their
pagers, and I've used procmail to make it so mail to me at my
personal account that's specially tagged goes to this email system.

You _could_ just pipe the email to a paging program; in my case I
found that my need to clean the headers made it easier to write an
email-to-page gateway...

-roy
Roy S. Rapoport                     UNIX/Mac System Administrator
rsr(_at_)ide(_dot_)com                                    http://www.ide.com
Phone: 415-543-1314x280                         Fax: 415-543-0145