Re: Help: running a C program when mail arrives

1996-08-13 14:06:13
Hi everyone,

Here's what I am trying to do:

I will be receiving a series of emails which are in the form of

HEADERS

TEXT
Email Address : user(_at_)domain(_dot_)com
TEXT

I have no problem pulling out emails which are in this format, however,
what I want to do is to automatically respond to the 'Email Address :'
field.  Using /bin/vacation would be ideal, but these pages will be sent
from a web server, and therefore will be from the web server's address.

From the previous part of this thread, I would assume that something in
the format of:

:0ic:
* B ?? ^Email Address : \/[a-z(_dot_)(_at_)]+
|/bin/mail $MATCH </etc/letter

:0:
* B ?? ^Email Address :
IN.Webbox

would trigger a message to be sent to whoever matched the specified
field.

This 'recipe' correctly MATCHes the email address, but yields an error
of
procmail: Program failure (255) of "/bin/mail $MATCH </etc/letter

What seems to be happening is that procmail isn't simply triggering the
mail program, but either attempting to pipe the mail message to
/bin/mail, or not passing $MATCH to /bin/mail

Can anyone help me with what I'm doing wrong, and/or suggest an
alternate method of accomplishing this task?

I am currently using a Perl program which reads STDIN, finds the
proper address, and sends the response message, but it would be cleaner
if I could do this without calling an external program.

Thanks in advance

Dave,
A Procmail novice.