Re: procmail and news

1996-08-29 12:15:53
At 11:03 AM 8/29/96 -0700, Z.B. wrote:

[snip - Procmail running as a News fetch-n-filter]

Would something like this work on Netcom's Unix system with the rn
program?  If its possible, what would I need to do?

(this ramble is Netcom shell specific)
This might be a stretch -- sometime around Feb or Mar of this year, Netcom
changed the configuration of their Mail servers, and it may not be possible
to successfully run a newsreader from a Procmail script because of this (the
mail servers are separate machines from the machines you log into to do
things, AFAIK).  I know for instance that access to your FTP space appears
to be hosed (I had scripts which served up MIME encoded files on request, as
well as one which generated a list of the available newsgroups, zipped it
up, and sent it to the requestor).

Basically I'm saying that before you really get into the guts of the script
to do what you want, see if you can even run the app and pipe simple output.

NetCruisers:  http://www.professional.org/pse/
Home of NCUtil, 3rd-party utility links (including Winsock), and FAQs!

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395
 Internet: PSE(_at_)professional(_dot_)org     CompuServe: 72210,521