Re: Non-local...CONT #2'

1996-10-11 21:41:45
bodysurf(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com (Tim) writes:
Sorry to be the pain in the neck, but I've found one other piece of
interesting INFO:

{ExoCom:2 [~/.procmail]} egrep 'comsat' log
procmail: Notified comsat: "bodysurf(_at_)102620:/var/spool/mail/bodysurf"
procmail: Notified comsat: "bodysurf(_at_)1963:/var/spool/mail/bodysurf"
procmail: Notified comsat: "bodysurf(_at_)2773:/var/spool/mail/bodysurf"
procmail: Notified comsat: "bodysurf(_at_)102084:/var/spool/mail/bodysurf"

Looking at the PROCMAIL MAN page, it tells me:

    Notified comsat: "$LOGNAME(_at_)offset:file"
                           Sent comsat/biff a notice  that  mail
                           arrived for user $LOGNAME at `offset'
                           in `file'.

On the lost emails, the offset was "1963" and "2773" in the above
examples.  I don't think this is where the offset should be as my
"/var/spool/mail/bodysurf" mailbox file is ~102K.  On the emails that
arrived OK in my inbox, the offset in the above LOG file was ~102K
(102620 and 102084 to be exact).

This makes it sound like non-local mail is being delivered via a different
machine from the one local mail is delivered on.  Try adding the following
line to the top of your .procmailrc:

LOG="Delivered on $HOST
"

Note that the closing quote is on a separate line.  This should reveal
what host your mail is being delivered on.  You should then check there
for you email, as well as complain to your ISP about the situation.

Philip Guenther