NULLs in a logfile

1997-02-21 20:29:09

Sorry for the shotgun posting, but I'm not sure who would really
know about this the best.

THE PROBLEM
        I've been having problems with my procmail logfile being
        contaiminated with nulls (they show up as "^@" when I use
        'cat -v' on the logfile).

HOW I USE PROCMAIL
        I use a pop binary which delivers the mail to procmail
        directly '/usr/local/bin/formail -e -s procmail'
        This works perfectly fine.

WHEN THE PROBLEM OCCURS
        I've noticed that this seems to happen most often (98%)
        when I call the 'pop' binary as the argument to 'pppd'
        (for those who are not familiar, the version of pppd
        2.3 can take an argument "ipparam" followed by the name of a
        program.)  The NULLs seem to happen almost exclusively
        when I call the pop binary this way.  I can call the same pop
        binary before and after the NULLs appear and it does not
        happen again.  However, it does not happen every
        time I call the pop binary this way, but the NULLs
        seem to only appear when I do call pop this way.

Any thoughts, guesses, suppositions, or magical incantations
appreciated.

TjL

--
Tj Luoma (luomat(_at_)peak(_dot_)org)
If you have a web page about NeXTStep|OpenStep, email me the URL!

EMAIL ADDRESS: Please use the PEAK address and not the NERC one