Re: new to procmail

1997-08-21 10:54:38
Paul O Bartlett wrote:

                 The only way to learn it is to set yourself up a
.procmailrc in some account where it won't molest innocent mail, and play
and play and play.

   Some people do not have and cannot readily obtain a second account
under un*x.  However, if a little spare storage space is available, I
think there is a simpler solution.

Dunno if it's simpler but it does seem to me to be a more dangerous
alternative if the extra account can be had. The fellow I was talking to
was a stone-cold newbie who wanted to build an autoresponder. For our first
unguided certain-to-be-filled-with-blunders excercise in procmail, let's
deliberately have this account send mail to itself?

(I caused my first mail loop yesterday and I never would have noticed it
was there if I hadn't been trying to mv log to log.old and log keep popping
back up again immediately. Coulda let the damn thing buzz around in circles
all night.)

My point got lost, anyway. The man wanted more "sources of information"
about procmail and I do, too, but I didn't start learning until I started
playing with it for hours on end and he won't, either.

--Ken
           68 Westy, Admin -- type2 -- The VW Bus Mailing List