Re: Need recipe to match ALL-NUMERIC addresses @whatever

1997-08-26 02:35:06
On Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:39:19 -0700, Tim <bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:
     FROM=`formail -rtzc -x'To:'`
     :0
     * FROM ?? ? grep -v ".*[^0-9].*@"

You could at least use the built-in regexp matching instead of relying
on an external call to grep.

    * ! FROM ?? [^0-9].*@

The leading wildcard is not necessary in grep, either. I'd probably
change that ".*" to something less allowing -- if I understand the
original question correctly, that should be an all-numeric localpart,
anyway, so you could instead say

    * FROM ?? ^^[0-9]+@

In practice, I think I'd want to filter anything which has an 8-digit
localpart in +either+ of From_, From:, Reply-to:, or even To:, instead
of only looking at whatever address formail returns.
  These headers are apparently generated by a program so you could be
fairly confident that they will be rather uniform, and not contain
surprises such as the sender's full name or comments.

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>