Re: extracting bodies into separate files.

1997-08-26 12:25:48

What's the easiest way to take a single-file mailfolder (of already
received messages), and put each message body in its own file?

No headers, file name doesn't matter--as long as it's unique.
Directory for files may be in recipe.

Check out formail.

I checked it out.  Contrary to the man page,

cat Mail/spam-incoming | formail -k -X Subject

does NOT remove any headers.

formail <options> < Mail/spam-incoming

gets "Mail/spam-incoming: can't open file"

( Now how in the world can 'cat X | prog' not equal 'prog < X' ? )

I can't figure out the splitting part at all (this is NOT a digest), so I
thought I'd just experiment:

323 -> cat Mail/spam.incoming | formail -b -k -X Subject -s cat >
tempspam/$FILENO
ksh: tempspam/: cannot create
sparc01:/usr/home/wwgrol
324 -> mkdir tempspam
mkdir: Failed to make directory "tempspam"; File exists