Re: syntax enhancement dreams

1997-08-27 13:10:49
When I said about Terry Jones's example,

| > If exposure to C or something similar has already made them familiar with
| > "&&" and "||" and "{ ... ;}" while total strangeness from procmail has kept
| > them from ever learning what ":0E" means, then yes [perl code would be
| > easier than procmailrc code for such people to read].

Peter Galbraith commented,

| Or exposure to awk, perl and a whole bunch of other languages!

Terry's example was in perl, Peter.  Yes, awk also based a lot of its syntax
on that of C, and when perl came along later, it was designed to resemble
both C and awk, as are the "whole bunch of other languages" you have in mind.

But listing perl among languages that resemble perl says that "If you already
know perl, you should find it easy to learn perl."

I guess that no one can argue with that.