Re: recipe question

1997-08-27 13:56:05
On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Chuck Campbell wrote:

I've got a problem with something I just tried.

I want to log where the message I'm throwing away might have belonged
if I hadn't dropped it into the bit bucket.  My attempt is this:

A part of my .procmailrc has these entries

:0:
* ^From.*fwtk
fwtk_junk

:0:
* ^TOfwtk
fwtk_junk

I then did a ln -s /dev/null fwtk_junk, so that the messages are actually
thrown away, and not kept in a folder called fwtk_junk.

The reason for this is to scan headers, and see where my spam mail is really
coming from, and keep stats on each site, the size of messages I've
trashed, and the number of them.

If I understand you correctly, you want to know why a message might be
tossed into /dev/null.

The way I do this ("borrowed" from era) is:

:0
* ^X-Advertis
{
  LOG = "Reason: Its a freaking ad $N"

  :0
  /dev/null
}

Where N="
"

This way you see how many messages were caught by a specific filter.

--
"He was a modest, good-humored boy.  It was Oxford that made him
insufferable."