Re: Dealing with spam/UBE (no longer a summary)

1998-02-26 11:33:41
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:25:19 -0700 (MST), kirk(_at_)rafferty(_dot_)org wrote:
I have an accept list of addresses that get to me.  When I post on Usenet,
I use my Subject: line keyword so that email replies get to me.
Of course, you have to MODIFY subjects when you're following up to
others...  Good idea otherwise (though I'd still use a separate mail alias

Unless of course you automatically add folks you mail TO to your
whitelist. Simple. If that's too much hassle, again, you could use a
plussed address in your Reply-To:s in private mail which lets the
receiver have his reply automatically bypass the password thingy.

Why not just accept any subject that start with "Re:"?  Yes, some spammers
are using "Re:" in their headers to try to get you to read it, but my
experience is that not enough of them are doing it to make much of a
difference.

And they're not doing it well enough; +very+ few of those I've seen
have valid In-reply-to: (or References:) headers. (On the other hand I
bet there is a good number of "legitimate" but broken MUA:s out there
that also fail this test.)

/* era */

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>