Re: procmail mailing list still won't filter

2000-11-21 15:21:43
Michael Keating <mkeating(_at_)lasallehs(_dot_)org> writes:
Thanks for catching that. Reading the original log, I see that the message
was not delivered to the system mailbox. The original recipe, as quoted,
did not set $DEFAULT to a new value, and I did not look at the delivery
section of the logs. If $DEFAULT equals /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME and
procmail is delivering to $DEFAULT, then procmail will automatically
generate a lockfile. To any other file, the second colon is certainly
essential.

Um, no.

When you write a recipe, if you want a locallockfile then you must put
a second colon on the recipe start line.  Specifing delivery to
$DEFAULT doesn't make procmail use a locallockfile.  Indeed, that would
be unwanted if $DEFAULT were a maildir style mailbox.

I think you're confusing this issue with procmail's implicit delivery
to $DEFAULT if it runs out of rcfile to process.  That implicit
delivery will use a locallockfile**, but writing
        :0
        $DEFAULT

is not the same as letting procmail perform its implicit delivery.

**There is actually extra 'magic' in the implicit delivery code which
makes procmail suppress the locallockfile when delivering to anything
but a plain file.  There's currently no way to access that 'magic' from
normal rcfile recipes.

Philip Guenther
Procmail Maintainer