Re: Failed recipe

2001-08-01 14:24:32
On  1 Aug, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

|     I have the following recipe setup on all my systems (the same recipe
| has been posted a few times over the past few weeks on this list):
|
| SUBJECT=`formail -xSubject: \
|         | sed -e 's/[;\`\\]/ /g' \
|         | expand | sed -e 's/^[ ]*//g' -e 's/[ ]*$//g'`
|
| [...]
|
| :0 B:
| * $ ^Content-Type: application/mixed; name=.*"$SUBJECT".*
| [...]
|
|     ...and for a while there it worked fine, then this morning I found
| two emails in my inbox (and other users) with the SirCam virus in them.
| Why did it fail?
|
|     Here's one of the messages:
|
| -------------------------------------------------------------------
|
| [...]
| Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?en=5Fsysmanager=5B1=5D?=
| [...]
| ------4CD47F35_Outlook_Express_message_boundary
| [...]

Well, the recipe is extracting the Subject and assigning it to a
variable named $SUBJECT. For this message, $SUBJECT is assigned the
string "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?en=5Fsysmanager=5B1=5D?=". Then it's searching
the body for a Content-Type: application/mixed; line that includes
name=$SUBJECT (which procmail expands to the string above) and it's not
there. Looks like you've been bit by The Subject: haviung been encoded
(I guess because of different characters in the sender's native
language) so that it doesn't match the attachment name when it gets to
you.

|     The interesting thing is, eventhough it lists in my INBOX as a 1Mb
| file, what you see above is all there is to it.  I'm baffled.

No clue there.

--
                   /"\
Don Hammond        \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign