RE: Automatic Copy of Outgoing Mail

2001-08-03 08:29:30

I'm attempting to create automatic logging at an offsite address, e.g. to
meet a legal requirement, without having to rely on a CC or BCC field that
might be dropped by the user.

Procmail isn't the right tool for this if you want a foolproof solution.

A foolproof solution would require some program that would go inbetween
"Send" and "Sendmail" (or whatever you use) and would require that sendmail
is not accessible directly.

Quite frankly there isn't a foolproof solution, as I can always do

        telnet smtp.myenemyhostname.com 25

and directly input mail.

However, assuming that your users aren't that savvy, an in-between program
would work.  What you would be doing, essentially, would be writing in a
BCC: header to the outgoing mail's headers.  That can be done, and someone
Unix Script Enabled(tm) ought to be able to find a solution.  I had a
similar program once that automatically inserted a signature file depending
on the TO address.  It was pretty slick IIDSSM.  I don't have it still,
unfortunately, or I would offer it to you, but it was basic Unix stuff using
sed, awk, etc (not even perl, although someone who knew perl could, no
doubt, do the same).

At any rate, this isn't a procmail issue, and would be better suited to a
group related to whatever mail-sending program you are using.

TjL

ps -- BTW US law requires that if an employee asks if you are monitoring
email, you have to answer them truthfully.  You do not have to disclose it
unless they ask (if memory serves) but if they ask, you have to say tell
them.  I can't remember what context this was in, but it was not that long
ago, and probably can be found on CNet's news.com somewhere