Would like original '^From_' line back

2001-08-13 00:15:09

  I replaced /bin/mail with /usr/bin/procmail in my sendmail.cf file, but
found that incoming mail had it's '^From_' line changed to:

   ^From root {some-date}

I read in the archive why this is considered better than having the original
From line, but I don't agree.  Case in point, here are sample '^From_' and
'^From:' lines as delivered with /bin/mail:

  From owner-ambientnet(_at_)listserv(_dot_)ncsu(_dot_)edu Tue Apr 17 12:27 EDT
2001
  From: "R. Stepp" <tstept(_at_)vuaa(_dot_)edu>

When I use procmail, the 'owner-ambientnet(_at_)listserv(_dot_)ncsu(_dot_)edu'
information
goes away and is replaced by 'root'.  This is valuable information knowing
the email originated from a list server.

I read in one of the archives that procmail is a drop-in replacement for
/bin/mail as a mail delivery agent - I guess that is not exactly true.

Is there anyway to have procmail generate a '^From_' line that looks like
the one generated by /bin/mail?

Thanks

David Hiltz
dhiltz(_at_)whsun1(_dot_)wh(_dot_)whoi(_dot_)edu