Re: mail alias

2001-10-10 08:13:50
On 10 Oct, Robert Dege wrote:

| I'm writing a recipe that uses match to extract the TO: prompt, and allow
| me to append it to the body of an email message.
|
| The only problem is that if someone sends to a mail alias (ie: all), then
| the To (or CC for that matter), gets used instead of the actual recipient.

Any such scheme that use headers (To:, Cc:, Received:, whatever) to
determine final recipient can never be 100% because the actual recipient
doesn't have to be in the headers at all.

| Is there anyway to actually determine what user a particular email is
| being distributed to?  For example, if an email is being saved to their
| /var/spool/mail folder, is it possible to extract their username from
| there?  Since LASTFOLDER gets assigned that default value.

LOGNAME should be what you're looking for.

[Note: replace "procmail" with "procmail6" for valid email address.]

--
                   /"\
Don Hammond        \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign