RE: Generate digest messages for mailing list?

2001-10-17 07:12:34
| I would like to have all messages collected during the
| day and moved to my INBOX once every day.

That's different: just to move them to your inbox once a day instead of
recasting them as formal digests should do the job.  The
questions are what
level of access you have to the system where you get your mail and how you
connect to it.  I don't want to advise you to use an assortment of Unix
commands if you have no shell login there, for example.

All my mail comes to my Unix workstation (I have shell access, root and
normal
user). There spam is filtered out and headers are added. My PC (Windows)
gets
the mail then from the workstation via pop3. Since I do check the pop3
account
quite often, the mails from this list poping in every few minutes disturbe
me.
I would rather get the whole days load once in the morning while my
"regular"
mail still comes in without delay.

I thought about saving all list mail into a seperate folder on the Unix
side and then calling procmail/formail once every day via cron to move the
mails back into the INBOX that gets check by the Windows client. However I
was not shure how to handle file locking correct when doing this. I think
mail could get lost if I just use "cat $LISTFOLDER >> $INBOX" from cron...

Best regards,
Reiner.