Re: qmail-local supplies some environmental vbles

2001-10-19 21:29:07
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, David W. Tamkin wrote:

Greg also wrote,

I want every email that comes to
the many student lists I have to be logged in one central log
file. I have in .qmail-[listname],

  | preline $HOME/bin/procmail -m .procmaillogrc

and Philip answered,

| Well, since your current setup won't work very well if a message is
| sent to two penpals lists---both of the .procmaillogrc invocations will
| extract the same listname from the header---so using a second line in
| the appropriate dot-qmail file is better than what you're doing now.

That need not be a problem.  Preline adds a Delivered-To: header line that
names the envelope recipient of the message, so Greg's .procmaillogrc could
extract the list's name from Delivered-To: and act accordingly.  I used to
use that method on a system where qmail was the MTA, and it was rock-solid
reliable.

I don't think the recipe I would use in .procmaillogrc,

:0
* ^TOpenpals-\/[^(_at_)]*
| flist $MATCH

would be a problem, because the address extension is unique to
each list. But, wait, if someone sent in the same From: line to a
number of lists, it would be a problem. Mmmh.

Thanks for the tip about passing environmental variables from the
command line. I believe I will use $EXT passed as $1, rather
than extract the address extension myself with a poorly-written
regex.

--
Greg Matheson                Those who can do.
Chinmin College              Those who can't operate.