Need advice on MTA and imapd

2001-11-01 10:56:08

The first part of this may be a *little* off-topic, but hey, procmail's
still part of the equation, and queries to other lists are proving to be
without fruit.

I have a sendmail virtusertable with entries like:

        @example.com            exa-%1
        @othercust.net          oc-%1

I'm currently running an old version of uw-imapd with some custom hacks
to cause it to read a text file with entries like:

        example.com=ex
        othercust.net=oc

The hacks to my pop3d and imapd look for an "@" in the username and if
found use putenv and getenv to pull the appropriate user prefix from
the aforementioned text file.  It's ugly and nasty and works perfectly.
But I need to upgrade, and if it's possible to get this functionality
in another pop3/imap server by *configuring* it rather than hacking the
source code, that would obviously be my preference.

Does anyone know of a way to do this with ... well, ANY pop3d/imapd?

Which brings me to a more procmail-related part of the question.
Assuming someone comes up and says you can do this with courier or
foopopd or whatever maildir-format mailbox server, will there be any
problem for me to stick with sendmail as my MTA yet have procmail
deliver to maildirs instead of mboxes?

Is procmail an appropriate tool for die-hard sendmail users to take
advantage of maildirs?

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>