Re: procmailrc without $HOME

2001-11-05 07:48:30
Apparently I did have it all wrong; no big surprise when it comes to
administrative stuff, with which I have no experience.

| 1. Procmail will not automatically read rcfile code from files in
| /etc/procmailrcs/.  You have to send procmail there with an INCLUDERC or
| SWITCHRC assignment; usually that's done in /etc/procmailrc rather than in
| ~/.procmailrc.

| 2. If /etc/procmailrc has told procmail to SWITCHRC to an rcfile in
| /etc/procmailrcs/, and procmail gets to the end of the rcfile in
| /etc/procmailrcs/ without final delivery, procmail will go to
| ~/.procmailrc.

It seems that /etc/procmailrcs/somefile has special meaning only when it is
the command-line argument to procmail's -m option.  Since -m turns off the
automatic reading of /etc/procmailrc and of $HOME/.procmailrc, there are no
conflicts of precedence.

| 3. If procmail is running setuid root as the LDA and is sent off to
| process a file in /etc/procmailrcs/, it will ... setuid to the owner of
| the link (hard or soft) by which the file in /etc/procmailrcs/ is called
| and setgid to that user's logon group.

Let me try again: if procmail is running setuid root (even if invoked from a
.forward file or a shell prompt) and -m /etc/procmailrcs/something is
specified on its command line, it will setuid to the owner of the link, and
I still guess that it would setgid to that user's logon group (rather than
the group of the link).