Header lines delimited by CRLF or just LF ?

2001-11-05 12:42:18
Sorry if this is a little off topic but hopefully someone here might be
able to set me straight.

I have sendmail 8.11.6 on FreeBSD at a web host delivering mail via
procmail into a Maildir mailbox. I am picking up the files from the
/new directory, parsing the headers and doing something depending on
the headers and a database lookup. (Yes I understand the extreme
foolishness of using headers and not the envelope.)

RFC2822 says that lines are delimited with CRLF but the messages I am
getting this way all seem to have their header lines delimited with LF
only. I detect the header / body boundary by looking for LFLF.

Its all working fine but it bothers me that I seem to be getting
something other than what the RFCs say I should. I've sent it messages
from various mail clients and the result is always the same.

Is sendmail turning the delimiters into LF only? Is Procmail doing
something? Does it depend on the client? Should I also look for CRLF
lines if I don't find LF only?

I'd appreciate any clarification.

Thanks
Ross