procmail killed by signal 9?

2001-11-15 11:56:34
Hi!

I'm using procmail with Exim on a Debian "potato" system.
User A sends a message to user B, and user B has a (rather simple)
setup in his .procmailrc that pipes the message to some program.

The delivery fails with the following error message from exim:

Child process of procmail_pipe transport (running command
"/usr/bin/procmail -d ${local_part}") was terminated by signal 9
(Killed)

I had a look at exim's source and it seems that it prints such message
when value returned by wait() suggests that the delivery command was
killed by some signal.

The above condition occured with only two messages, each being sent to a
different user, those users having different commands in their
.procmailrc (though they did basically the same thing).

The only thing those two messages had in common was that they both
contained attachments. (However other messages containing
attachments were delivered properly).

I'm sure that nobody killed those processes manually.

In case of the first message I had an opportunity to play with it a
little, since it was a delivery error notification. (Exim has a 'freeze'
feature which allow the postmaster to retry a failed delivery).
Everytime I forced a retry, the message bounced with the same error
message. I'm quite sure it wasn't some timeout, because it bounced
almost instantly. I also tried piping the message through the command
that was called from .procmailrc and the command seemed to run
successfully.

Has anyone ever seen something similar?
Does anybody have a clue what might be killing procmail or what might be
making exim think that procmail was killed?

regards

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <marcin(_at_)owsiany(_dot_)pl>
http://marcin.owsiany.pl/