Re: Problem checking against a whitelist/blacklist

2001-11-25 21:07:38
On 11/25/01 08:49 PM, Don Hammond sat at the `puter and typed:
On 25 Nov, Louis LeBlanc, while quoting me quote him, wrote:
| > [...]  I  think you'd  want something like:
| >
| > :0fhw * ? formail -x From: -x Sender: -x Reply-To: -x Return-Path: \
| > -x To: | egrep -is  -f /home/leblanc/.mutt/whitelist | formail -Y -f
| > -A "X-Whitelist: keep it" :0A { WHITE=YES }
|
| Yes, this is what I thought I had.

Somebody's mail software is messing up line feeds, and I don't think
it's mine. ;-)  Your quote of this part of my message ignored existing
new lines and added others where they don't belong. The 3 lines above
are actually 6 as sent.

Oops.  My bad.  Mental note: reformatting quoted text=BAD!  :/

Your original message came looking as if there was no action line, and
although that may be symptomatic of the same line ending problem, I
don't think so. Take a look at your original and my response in the list
archive (near the bottom of the the thread index for this month) to see
what I mean. The list archive has your message as I originally saw it,
looking like no action is included, and showing the formail -A command
as the final part of the condition pipeline. Compare that to what I sent
(in the archive, as opposed to above) to see why I don't think it is
what you had. If I'm wrong then you might want to look at your software
and see if you can get it to stop munging new lines because, if that's
what happened, it sure seems like the meaning was changed. I'm not
trying to be a weenie, just trying to make sure we're comparing apples
to apples.

Actually, I am delivering to an imap mailbox using Cyrus deliver, so I
restrict that action to the end of the procmail filtering. All recipes
set or  change variables to  tell procmail wether to  bother filtering
thru later sections or  which folder to deliver it to  in the end. All
my recipes operate  by simply setting a variable to  help shorten this
process as  much as  possible. Adding white/blacklist  prechecking has
helped this quite a bit for some mail.

One thing I am wondering, if I  dump a message to /dev/null (using the
'!' action?)  from my  ~/.proc_precheck, what  will procmail  do next?
does it simply exit  there, or do I need to unset  the HOST variable -
like I do at the end after delivery?

Thanks for the heads up with that formatting :)

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc(_at_)keyslapper(_dot_)org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

no maintenance:
  Impossible to fix.