Re: Badtrans signature for local-rules

2001-11-26 13:37:08
On 11/26/01 11:26 AM, John D. Hardin sat at the `puter and typed:

Okay, here is the final local-rules ruleset for detecting and
quarantining badtrans. I'll add it to the website later today.

If you're not using the sanitizer, modify the action section
appropriately.

Beware line-wrap.

# Trap BadTrans? (signature as of 11/26/2001)
#
:0
* > 40000
* < 50000
* ^Subject:.*Re:
*
^Content-Type:.*multipart/related;.*"multipart/alternative";.*boundary="====_ABC1234567890DEF_===="
{
        :0 B hfi
        | formail -A "X-Content-Security: [$HOST] NOTIFY" \
                  -A "X-Content-Security: [$HOST] QUARANTINE" \
                  -A "X-Content-Security: [$HOST] REPORT: Trapped
BadTrans worm - see
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32(_dot_)badtrans(_dot_)b(_at_)mm(_dot_)html"
}

I have to admit to being a little slow here, but do those two first
conditions specify the range of bytes in the message?  Ive been
getting them in the 530 line range, so I imagine it could fall in that
range.  What's the reasoning for checking the range?  Other than we
can email back and forth about it, I mean.

TIA
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc(_at_)keyslapper(_dot_)org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Occam's eraser:
  The philosophical principle that even the simplest
  solution is bound to have something wrong with it.