Re: If VARIABLE = (this|orthis|orthat)

2001-11-29 16:21:19
At 16:34 2001-11-29 -0600, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Sigh.  Sean, either your head is elsewhere today or you're attempting a
specious tactic that is really beneath you.

Lets not discuss where my head obviously must be. I spent much of the night tracking down and fixing an elusive bug in gzip 1.2.4 which has been intermittently plaguing me for some time.

 * REPLYTO ??
()\<(joe(_at_)aol\(_dot_)com|ed(_at_)msn\(_dot_)com|john(_at_)yahoo\(_dot_)com)\>

You know the difference between starting with \< and starting with ()\<.

Doh!

        (\<)

So just how did those parentheses magically disappear from your revision of my example?

I didn't _revise_ your example, I reposted mine. Of course, the reason mine was working as I'd expected it to was caused by the fact that there was parenthesis around the macro, not because the or with the BOL anchor.

(It still seems weird to think that there would be a newline at the top of the message - say the From_ line, or at any other line).

To take advantage of the extended character class for address encapsulation, one has to revert to using BOL and EOL anchors anyway, as posted in my earlier message (and which doesn't make use of the \< \> macros anyway):

:0:
* SENDER ?? $ (^|[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])($matchaddr)($|[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])
test.ok

I think I should take a vacation from the list and perhaps come back in a month.