Re: Handling Excessive Quoting ?

2002-07-07 19:15:05
At 18:33 2002-07-07 -0700, GreenTree Ground Station did say:
LOTS of stuff there to understand b4 I can even think
about making any modifications for my application.

The ruleset works through the use of SCORING ('man procmailsc').

It would appear that there is a small seperate segment
at the beginning of the msg, but I'm assuming that if I
export and crop what is around the major part of the
post that I'll have a workable script... I hope :)

Yes, there's a comment blurb. There might be use of some variables (such as $NL) defined elsewhere - common stuff you'll find on the procmail list. This ruleset is just one of over a dozen recipes used in my filters for majordomo lists.

thay have to copy a several dozen line post just to make
a ONE line comment...  Thank the Maker I don't pay for

I've had a LOT of grief from a handful of users on a list I manage, but on the whole, the reminder has had a positive effect, getting people to reduce their "quote all that went before for the hell of it". Such overquoting has an adverse effect on the list archives and the digest version of the discussion list.

Much like these folks that have the excessive signatures.
<sheepish grin>

Ya think? Now only if the people with mammoth .sigs would use a standard "---" at the beginning of a line to demark the beginning of their .sig, and then a simple .sig truncator would work.

You could also condition the whole overquoting mechanism on message size. Say, only for messages over 5K in size:

:0
* >5000
{
        # do overquote stuff