Re: invoking procmail from sendmail alias, and...

2002-07-21 14:17:20
At 15:52 2002-07-21 -0400, Kevin S. Brackett did say:
I have a ticketing support system in place, with multiple addresses going
to single departments, now, to keep track of these requests i'd like to
add a text tag to the subject header of the emails coming in...

Ie, user sends email to blah78682682(_at_)domain
and the tag [78682682]: to be added to the subject header of those
emails while still keeping the original subject intact

so my question is this...

How do I alter the subject by taking a few characters of the ^To: header
address and then have it forward to another address (the actual
ticketing system address) while still keeping the ^From: address the same?

_Forwarding_ doesn't change the From:. It _does_ change the envelope-from however.

I was thinking about doing this all from the site wide procmailrc since
these are only aliases... so any pointers?

in your sendmail aliases file (in place of a simple alias definition to the "real" support address):

supportsomenumber: "|/path/procmail -m /etc/procmailrcs/somercfile.rc somenumber"

(do that for each of your aliases)

in the somercfile.rc:

# this is *ONLY* invoked for those accounts which specify this rcfile
# NOT for other generic accounts.

# since the TO: address may not be cleartexted to us, we use $1 for the number
# parameter
ADDRNUM=$1

# extract the original subject (this also eliminates leading whitespace)
:0
* ^Subject:[    ]*\/[^  ].*
{
        SUBJECT=$MATCH
}

# create the new subject token
SUBJECT="[$ADDRNUM]: $MATCH"

# insert it into the headers
:0hf
| formail -I "Subject: $SUBJECT"

# and forward
:0
! realsupportaddr

(those last two steps could be combined by eliminating the 'hf' and piping the output of formail into "$SENDMAIL realsupportaddr", but I prefer the above split approach in most cases).

In any situation where you forward messages, you should consider adding loop detection.