getting OS X mail to run a perl program

2003-05-06 21:13:04
Hello list,

this is my first post, so if it has been answered countless times before - be gentle.

We are a computational chemistry group that uses a remotely located computer to perform computational chemistry work. We submit these jobs from our OS X desktops through SSH (and SCP). We never really physically log in to the remote computer.

Due to an overly restrictive network administrator we can no longer send files via scp from a remote machine to our OS X desktop.

One solution has been suggested and that is to get the remote machine to send an email to the user informing the user that the process on the remote computer has finished and the files he/she needs are available for download. This works quite well, and we can send in the text of the email details about the location of the files and names etc.

The user would then scp from the desktop OS X machine to the remote machine and retrieve the files (manually).

What would be really cute would be for the email message to trigger a script on the OS X desktops that does this in a more automatic sense.

I understand that procmail may be able to do this.

Can someone please point me to a tutorial or suggest the setup that I would need to have running on my OS X desktop (which is where the mail will end up) to allow for this?

At the moment the email subject line is empty (due to using the mail fred < "file" syntax on the remote machine), but the body of the email now contains the contents of "file".

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

tony
Dr. Anthony P. Scott,
Computational Quantum Chemistry Gp,     Office Ph.:     61-2-6125-3573
Research School of Chemistry,           Dept. Ph.:      61-2-6125-3637
Australian National University,                 Fax:
61-2-6125-0750
Canberra, ACT 0200,
AUSTRALIA.

E-mail:         Anthony(_dot_)Scott(_at_)anu(_dot_)edu(_dot_)au