Re: Problems changing "From:" in header of autoreply

2003-05-12 18:21:21
On Tue, 13 May 2003, Tony L. Svanstrom wrote:

TLS> On Mon, 12 May 2003 the voices made Tom Wolfe write:
TLS>
TLS> TW>      -I"From: Autoresponder <tomwolfe(_at_)sawback(_dot_)com>"
TLS>
TLS>  -I"From: Autoresponder <tomwolfe(_at_)sawback(_dot_)com>"; \

Now that the response is sorted out, consider a spam from the Chief
Executive of your friendly ISP.  This email purports to come from a
person.  You autorespond.  It autoresponds back from the same address,
like you are doing, does not identify itself in any way as a daemon,
strips out your precedence, does not put in a "Precedence: junk" itself,
strips out your X-loop and does not put in an X-loop of its own.

You need to respond from another address, NotTomWolfe(_at_)sawback(_dot_)com,
so that
a response to your response won't generate another response from you.  It
is also a good idea to keep a list of addresses that you have
autoresponded to, so that you don't respond again.

* ^To: tomwolfe@

will give you problems when you get mail addressed to

To: <tomwolfe(_at_)sawback(_dot_)com>

I was unaware of mail being addressed like this as Pine strips off the < >
in its normal display.  Use

* ^To:.*tomwolfe@

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list.  Please
  address personal email to alan+1@ as lists@ is not read. A challenge-
  response system may be invoked if this email is very old. )