Re: Sort by To, CC, BCC

2003-05-15 10:30:47
At 09:57 2003-05-15 -0600, Scott Wiersdorf did say:
One option you might consider (in your case especially) is to add an
MTA processing rule that adds an X-Recipient: header or something like
that (someone else on the list may have a stronger opinion). Your MTA
documentation will likely document some mechanism to do that.

Beware though: if a message arrives with this header (containing who knows what), your MTA is unlikely to add it. Also, if you receive a message addressed to multiple local recipients, the MTA may not add it.

The bottom line is that Procmail is NOT AN MTA, and whenever someone tries to use it as such, they discover there are a LOT of limitations, with a variety of kludges necessary to get things to "sort of work." See 'man procmail' and search for "MTA", where you'll find (under the WARNINGS heading):

Procmail is not the proper tool for sharing one mailbox among many
users, such as when you have one POP account for all mail to  your
domain.  It can be done if you manage to configure your MTA to add
some headers with the envelope recipient data  in  order  to  tell
Procmail  who  a message is for, but this is usually not the right
thing to do.  Perhaps you want to investigate if your  MTA  offers
`virtual  user  tables',  or  see e.g. the `multidrop' facility of
Fetchmail.

Keep in mind that fetchmail is not part of procmail, nor is it a development of the procmail development team - fetchmail configuration inquiries should be directed to the appropriate forum for fetchmail.

It is ill advised to attempt to use a tool for a certain purpose when the developers of that tool EXPLICITLY state that it isn't suited to that task.