Re: Newbie - Sendmail config and procmail

2003-05-21 13:15:29
At 13:49 2003-05-21 -0500, Patrick Shanahan did say:
* Kenny Jarman <kenny(_at_)picotech(_dot_)com> [05-21-03 11:12]:
> I have the following already set up in the sendmail.cf  file but
> everything appears to be ingnoring etc/.procmailrc

Before spending too much time diagnosing your problem, you should make sure you're putting your global ruleset into the correct file. It is /etc/procmailrc, not dot-procmailrc.

Would YOU really want dotfiles in the system file heirarchy? They're really intended to keep a user dir less cluttered, because 'ls' by default HIDES THEM. That'd be bad practice in the system directories, don't you think? So, out of respect for even simple security matters, procmail doesn't use dot-procmailrc for the global file - hiding the file from view wouldn't be helpful.