Embedded comments

2003-05-24 07:04:31

I am getting very recognisable spam hitting my autoresponder so want to
stop it.

:0B
* -1^1   .
*  140^1 <!--.*-->
*  1^0
action

Is the logic (and syntax) of this correct?  The comment characters "<!--"
plus "-->"  total to 7 characters.  If I want the trigger level to be "5%
of total characters are used in comment delimiters," I use 140^1, for 10%
use 70^1.

Example 280 characters, 5% is 14 characters is 2 comments, so 140^1 would
almost trigger it (as zero count doesn't count I need to add an extra
1).  10% is 28 characters is 4 comments so 70^1 should do it.

It would be better if I could count all characters in between the < and
the > as these characters are just filler of an undetermined length but I
can't figure that out.  However, the spams with these comments have lots
of them, seemingly every word, so a comment delimiter count should be OK
for now.

Now I've got to ramble on a bit to stop other people's comment checkers
from filtering on the two comments in this email (the spams I've seen
don't do this but it is something to consider as well) ....

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list.  Please
  address personal email to alan+1@ as lists@ is not read. A
  password autoresponder may be invoked if this email is very old. )