Re: Is this recipe written properly?

2003-05-28 08:50:24
At 06:01 2003-05-28 -0400, Dick Adams wrote:
I do not accept non-plain-text e-mail at my shell account.
And I sure as hell do not want spam.

Criticism of the following recipe will be appreciated

Ok, I'll be critical.

Unless you have VERBOSE logging on so that you can see which of the several conditions matched, you may as well use a suprenum to force the scoring to skip to the delivery line on the first match. I'll show an example in my next critical comment.

* 1^0 ^Content-Type:.*text/html
* 1^0 ^Content-Type:.*multipart/alternative

These two can be combined (and the number here is a common suprenum, which you should probably just use on each of the conditions):

* ^9876543210^0 ^Content-Type:.*(text/html|multipart/alternative)

* 1^0 ^Precedence:.*bulk

This is a common header found on email lists.

* 1^0 ^X-Advertisement:

Spammers are unlikely to use this - this sort of header is more likely to be found on legit listmail (OTOH, who in their right mind would put advertisement data into a header most MUAs will not be showing by default?).

If you'd like me to be more critical, just give the word. <g>