Re: Recipe to match within text - need help

2003-05-30 18:49:16
At 19:17 2003-05-30 -0400, jude dashiell did say:
those graphic validation systems are Section 508 violations.  They're also
[big snip]

That'd be Section 508 of the INTERNATIONAL WEB DEVELOPER LEGAL CODE? I seem to have misplaced my copy. I think I may have loaned it out to someone along with _1001 perfectly legal, yet vicious things to do to spammers_, 14th edition. Now, only if I could remember who I loaned it to.

I suspect you're referring to a law which governs US *government* entities (in particular, FEDERAL ones), not private parties, or even public corporations.

<http://www.access-board.gov/>
<http://www.section508.gov/>

If you examine the validation graphic used by the site I previously referred to, you'll see that they take specific steps to make it so that an OCR system would stumble on the graphic. Putting TEXT into an array would be childsplay to parse in an automated fashion, which makes the whole validation process worthless.

My sincere appologies to all the blind people out there who have trouble navigating the net (there's plenty of crappy webdesign out there to mess with those of us who do have our sight, so I can only imagine what it's like for the sightless folk), but if someone wants to sue, they might start with the spammers and other people who abuse systems to the extent that the easiest way to deal with it is to put in such validation systems.

In any event, this is all WAY far afield of the topic of this discussion list - I offered up a viable solution to the problem the user was having, providing a link to one of MANY sites which employs exactly that technology.

If you've got some commentary on the _PROCMAIL_ solution, let's hear it.