Re: Using 'procmail -m ...' (question)

2004-10-31 05:01:01
Toen wij Dallman Ross kietelden, kwam er dit uit:
Ruud H.G. van Tol:

This would be equivalent, I think:

  DEFAULT = /dev/null

  :0:
  * whatever
  spam

  EXITCODE = 1

Yes, certainly.  It's equivalent.  More than one way to skin a cat.  I
chose one way, that's all.

It looks 'less scary' to me, because it depends on less 'detailed
procmail knowledge' and because it's more 'verbose'.

But anyway, I believe there is a tiny (as
in microscopic) savings exiting with an unset/reset HOST, since there
is no system "write" to /dev/null.

And maybe not. If there is an 'if' in the source concerning locking,
there might also be such an optimization for the case were writing
is unnecessary. (Unless there are systems on which the null-device
can be redirected, for example by Big Brother, to eavesdrop what's
being discarded.)

--
Grtz, Ruud