Re: help for a newbie

2004-11-29 09:01:38
On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 11:22:27AM +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:
* Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com> :
On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 09:06:45AM +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:
* ^From:.*\/[A-Za-z0-9_(_dot_)+-]+(_at_)[A-Za-z0-9_(_dot_)+-]+
* ? grep -i "$MATCH" $WHITELIST
$WHITE

So your whitelist can be the aliases file type format, or just a
list of addresses.

Thanks for the advice Dallman.  I think the reason it works for me
(to date, anyway) is that I am just an end-user with not a very
large .aliases/whitelist file, and not many users.  I understand
that mail server admins with many users would have to be much more
precise.

I gathered from the OP's request that he is in a similar situation
to me, rather than a server admin, and that is why I posted my
recipe.  I don't even come close to knowing as much as some of you
guys about detailed regex/recipes, but when I think I can help (what
I think is a) simple end-user query wanting a simple fix, I do so.

I apologise to him if my presumption is incorrect - he can of course
take it or leave it.

I'm the OP, and yes just myself as a user, with about twenty or so names in
my .aliases/whitelist.

One further question.
I can decipher the first and second lines, but where does the email end up
after it's checked against the .alias/white list?

And yes I have looked thru the email archive, maybe I just need some advice
as to what to search for.
thanks
jerry