Re: Maildir files getting mangled

2007-01-09 10:06:56
On Tuesday 09 January 2007 13:10, Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:
Philip Nelson schreef:
G'day, I've got a problem where my email files in users Maildirs get
messed up. The very top of the file has a few 0x00s, then the bottom
of a different email, then the real email. Obviously the headers are
messed up (not at the top of the file) so email clients don't read
the email properly.

This is only happening to users root Maildir folder (Inbox). It only
happens to a few emails, not all. I use procmail to direct emails to
different maildir folders - it's never happened to a different folder
that procmail has directed mail to.

Show the relevant procmail code.

MAILDIR=/var/amail/$LOGNAME/
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/
LOCKFILE=/var/amail/$LOGNAME/.lockmail

:0
* ^List-Id:.*mythtv-commits\.mythtv\.org
.Lists.mythtv-commits/

and about 10 more rules very similar to the above (just with different
List-Id's and folders.

The Maildirs are on a nfs mount (ext3). I use fetchmail -> exim ->
procmail -> courier. Am I right in thinking it's procmail that is
actually writing the maildir files?

So I'm not sure if procmail or something else is to blame here - but I
don't know where else to look (exim guys reckon it's a probably a
procmail problem).

What other processes are writing to the same folder?

I don't know really. I don't know much about how the whole thing works. I
thought procmail wrote the file to the new/ directory then the imap server
moves it to cur/ - is that how it works? I've tried both dovecot and
courier-imap, I'm getting the same problem with both. I don't think anything
else would be writing to either the new/ or cur/ folders?

Put something like

  MAILDIR = "$HOME/Maildir"  #  adjust, and make sure it exists

  :0c  #  maildir-type delivery, so no no locking

  raw/

Thanks, I'll try this.