Procmail with faceless account

2013-02-01 13:35:18
Hi all,

I've been using Procmail for a bunch of years for various reasons. Currently
I'm using it as an enterprise tool using a faceless account instead of a real
user's account. We've tightly integrated Procmail with our support desk
ticketing system. Messages come from various internal and external distribution
lists, automated processes, faceless accounts, web based forms, and various IT
devices. Based on our rules, we generate tickets that are auto-routed in the
ticketing system pre-defined users/groups. Some messages get tickets, some get
deleted etc. With this in mind, I have a couple questions for the group here.

1.       Procmail seems to be typically used or end users to manage their own
mail. I haven't really run across any sites discussing it being used in this
way. Is this a novel approach or have others gone down this path before? It
seems that with the way most folks use email today (not from a shell), using
Procmail in this way may give it more value and exposure than it's had in the
past. I know that once folks in my organization started realizing what could be
done (since email is so heavily used in many ways), they started finding more
and more uses for it.

2.       Because we're using it as an enterprise application that's centrally
managed AND there's almost nobody here that understands/uses the CLI in a Linux
environment, I was thinking about some type of web based frontend for managing
all our rules. Though you'd still have to understand regular expressions and
the scripts that I've written, it would reduce one barrier. Is there anything
like this or has anyone thought about it? I looked at the Procmail
Webmin/Usermin interface and it sort of works but since I INCLUDE a bunch of
rule files, I didn't see how to manage those, only the INCLUDE rules. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.