Re[2]: Mail with suspicious HTML tag discarded.

2004-01-14 11:45:44
To  deny  that  Outlook  has been (and possibly still is) one of the
leading  transmission  mechanism of email viruses is frankly absurd,
given the data available from anti-virus and security lists/sites.

That  was  never  denied.  The  claim  in  question  was,  "Outlook is
currently   one   of  the  major  sources  of  Spam...Most  spam  from
residential   addresses   is   actually  due  to  compromised  Outlook
installations." Not only does the real-world experience of mail admins
reveal  this  claim  to  be  absurd, the URL we're steered to directly
contradicts it:

        So far, no concrete evidence shows any home PCs that have been
        infected  by  either  Webber or Sobig.E have been used to send
        spam.

In  addition,  the last thing the SPF list (and SPF movement) needs is
gratuitous  Linux  advocacy  ("...you  don't  even  need to upgrade to
Linux").  The  most  flexible, most powerful anti-spam technology I've
ever  used  is  a  Win32  application. Obviously, there are impressive
anti-spam  products  for  both  OSs, and many that are cross-platform.
Please,  list  members, don't let OS partisanship disrupt the unity of
the SPF early adopters. It's not relevant. Don't ruin this.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: sandy(_at_)cypressintegrated(_dot_)com