Re: SRS requirements

2004-01-14 15:00:13
On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 01:34:12PM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| Forwarders would have to do SRS even if SPF didn't exist.  AOL has
| already published its outbound domain list, and antispam software
| already scores incoming messages accordingly.  Forwarders have been
| getting squeezed from both sides for a while.  If you don't have many
| forwarding aliases, you may not have noticed, but we have.

Here's one example of what I'm talking about.  It comes from
Sendmail.org's web page on "how to contact Sendmail" with patches, etc.

http://www.sendmail.org/email-addresses.html

  Note: If you send e-mail to sendmail.org, the answer will most likely
  not come from a system in the sendmail.org domain. If you use some
  anti-spam techniques (e.g., challenge-response systems) or you block
  hosts that are connected via DSL then please do not expect an
  answer. More and more often replies are blocked which is very
  annoying. Here's one of the IP addresses from which a reply may come:
  63.195.85.27. Do not block this address or make sure that your system
  accepts at least STARTTLS secured mail. If you use a rr.com address,
  then your provider is blocking the IP address listed above. Complain to
  your ISP or get an ISP which doesn't interfere with e-mail.

Giving that IP address there is an attempt to provide designated
sender information.  SPF is just a formalized way of doing it.