Re: Re: step by step deploment

2004-01-21 15:45:44
At 02:27 PM 1/21/2004, Za'mbori, Zolta'n wrote:
I read somewhere that large amount of spam coming from hijacked PCs. What about these PCs? Who will setup SPF for these PCs?

No, you've got it backwards.  The two components of SPF are:
- At the domain name of the apparent sender (records published)
- At the receiving mail server (records checked)

The actual sending mail server (or zombie) doesn't have to know anything about SPF.

With spam from hijacked PCs, usually the apparent sender address is forged. If the apparent sender has published SPF information, it will not list the hijacked PC, so the receiving mail server will know it's been forged and reject it.

For example: Joe Spammer sends mail through a hijacked PC claiming to be from ajsfkhkj(_at_)speed(_dot_)net(_dot_) The receiving mail server looks up the SPF record for speed.net, finds our servers listed but not the hijcaked PC, and realizes it's forged.

Alternatively: Joe Spammer buys the joespammer.com domain and sets up SPF records indicating that anyone is allowed to send mail with it. He then sends spam through zombies, it gets verified by SPF, but because he's using his own address we can blacklist him easily with no collateral damage.

Kelson Vibber