Re: SPF design refrozen

2004-01-24 03:29:25
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

OK, the people have spoken.  SPF v1 is frozen, and filtering will be
possible before DATA, unlike certain alternatives now under
consideration by the major ISPs.

Excellent - thankyou.

I hope that people understand that this decision means we'll alienate a
major stakeholder and we'll have to rely on ... everybody else.
"Everybody else" may be easier to convince of SPF's correctness, but
there are a lot more of them.

Only if they choose to be alienated. It is important for everyone (that includes everyone on the list, and all journalists, admins etc everywhere) to realise that we did not do this to snub the stakeholder, or because we're open-source bolshies. We did it because it was the right time to freeze, and because the stakeholder joined in too late *for v1*.

We MUST NOT (with full RFC strength) allow this issue to be misrepresented. If asked about XML in SPF, the answer is "That's not in v1, but it's a future option", not "we threw that idea out permanently".

As stated in my "Tally Ho" post (did anyone actually get that?) we will continue to remain open to any and all constructive input in future development. In fact I strongly suggest that we start considering how XML might be useful in future systems that may include new variants of DNS and SMTP (now we've nailed down spfv1 we can have the space and the licence for genuine blue-skies thinking) - although we may wish to consider that a longer-term possiblity, and consider many shorter-term ones alongside it.

Once more, thanks to everyone involved, especially Meng. Those of you who partake, please raise a glass to this moment.

        All the best,
                Wechsler